Here was my current email setup:
- I sent all email from gmail
- I can choose from 4 different accounts for outgoing mail
- All of those accounts send through different SMTP server
- You cannot log into google apps with your usersname @ a domain alias. Example. Brian@brianseagraves.com is my email address; brianseagraves.com is the primary Google Apps domain. I have an alias setup call example.com. I can recieve mail there, but I can't login as email@example.com.
- So, when setting up an additional outgoing account for firstname.lastname@example.org in Gmail, I had to use email@example.com for the username.
- It turns out that, even though I told gmail to send From firstname.lastname@example.org, once the email got to google apps, the from was changed to email@example.com. Very Irritating!
The solution, add an additional outgoing account to your google Apps account for the domain alias. (Yes, this seems silly since GApps should already know you're authorized, since the domain is an alias for the one with which you're logged in.) Then verify it. Then set it to "Reply to the address the message was sent to"
Seems to work.